Sunday, November 14, 2010

Why We Need Healthcare, and other excuses for me not working out this week.

So I have a tiny baby head.

Let me explain. No, that will take me too long. Let me sum up.

I am an average size (height, anyway) woman. I wear average sized shoes. My ring size is average. Nothing about me, really, would be considered 'delicate'. Except for my head. I am almost 24 and for glasses I shop in the youth section. Also, at the dentist, for the fluoride they put in trays and shove in your mouth and watch you try not to gag and vom for the requisite 2 minutes, I still am given the child size. This should explain why I don't have room for my wisdom teeth.

I should also say right now that while I do still have insurance through my step-mom, and while she does work at a damn hospital, this insurance is terrible. I am very thankful that it mostly paid for the surgery I had to have a year and a half ago, but there's not optical or dental and well, I think I just established that I am 23, have a tiny mouth, and still have wisdom teeth. This is a problem.

A week ago I woke up to find my mouth in a world of hurt. For three days I had pain that made me want to grab a 6-8 month old baby and look into his eyes and say, "I understand" while we shared a teething ring. After those three days my tooth and gums felt mostly fine and the swelling that had previously plagued me has disappeared. Or so I thought until I tried to open my mouth to eat. Between my teeth there was maybe 1/2 inch of clearance. The next 3 days were very interesting.

Do you know how many things you eat on a daily basis require you to open your mouth more than 1/2 inch? If you're an American, I assume just about everything. That's what I found to be true for myself. I stopped working out this week. You try to motivate ourself to do anything but mope and go to work when you can't open your mouth. I did, however, lose 2 pounds. Thanks yogurt and applesauce.

I woke up this morning and could actually yawn, so things are looking way, way up. I celebrated by cleaning the house and eating food you have to chew.

I'm going to get back to working out this week, though. I started on arms tonight. I have a wedding to go to in about 3 weeks, and I picked out my dress tonight. Right after that is when I did my arm workout.

I'm down to 185, which is -2 from my starting weight. I've been hovering really closely to 186-187 no matter what I eat or how much I work out. After my epic workout last weekend I made it to 184, but that only lasted until I ate a solid meal again. I was maintaining at 187 eating pizza about 9 times a week and not working out at all. Any ideas why, now that I've cut calories and started working out, that I'm not seeing a change in the numbers on my scale?

No comments:

Post a Comment