Friday, October 29, 2010

The Age-Old Question...

When we're young, we're often asked, "What do you want to do when you grow up?"

Like many other American children, I was always told I could be anything I wanted to be and as a youngster, I held many ideas about what would occupy the time of Future-Me, as I like to call her. For a while I wanted to be a marine biologist (disregarding my own fears of deep water and disinterest in science), then a vet (see earlier comment on science), then a teacher (even though I never liked children, even as a child) and, of course, a ballerina (I am clumsy and was only called dainty as an infant).

I am 23 years old. I hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in Women's Studies. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

Right now I am visiting one of my best friends from undergrad. He's a second-year graduate student and starting to look for full-time employment at universities here, there, and everywhere. I sat in on a meeting today and really started missing being involved with students, but I'm not sure anymore if I want to dedicate my life to student affairs again. Do I want to spend 2, 4, 6, or 8 more years living in a residence hall and dealing with all of the issues that are bound to happen when you put hundreds of 18-24 year old strangers in a building together? I used to be sure, but now all I know is that I miss being needed. I miss being able to contribute to the creation of something, rather than just cleaning up after other people.

I need to think on this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment