Sunday, April 18, 2010

Post Grad, or how life after college isn't all it's cracked up to be...

In the movie "Post Grad", main character Ryden Malby (played by the charming and talented Alexis Bledel) graduates college, has a plan, and then everything goes to hell. I identify with her.

She is forced to move back in with her parents and get a terrible job as she tries again and again to break into her chosen industry only to be rejected time and time again. As I sat on the couch in my mom's house watching this (on my day off from the job in pizza I had left once I started college, only to return after spending over $32,000 on a bachelor's degree...) I felt like this movie was made about me. It was rather like how every young girl in love thinks that every song about love was written about her.

Then, spoiler alert, Ryden gets the job she always wanted. And she figures out that her bff (who is a super talented and hot hot hot dude) is in love with her and what do you know, she loves him too. She quits the job she wanted so bad and runs off to be with the man she loves.

Okay, Ryden, you lost me at "gets the job she always wanted".

I am nearing 1 year post-graduation and I am still living with my mother and working at the job I got at the young age of 16. In my free time, which is abundant, I try to spend as little money as possible, as it is scarce, and am still struggling to break into my field. At 373 days post-grad I will begin work on my second bachelors degree. I am not holding onto the Hollywood notion that suddenly I will realize that my best friend is madly in love with me as one best friend is a lovely and engaged girl and the other is an equally lovely and gay male. Also, I love them both, but neither "like that". Wish me luck on that dream job though, eh?

2 comments:

  1. my dream job is to be a career student and live off of student loans forever. Except... i don't want to go to class. =/ So i feel ya. Lol. But... you're going back and trying again! Eventually you'll get a degree you can do something with! So, in reality, we should wish you luck on paying off all your loans before you die? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tim... Thanks for the support? <3

    ReplyDelete